Merrily Munther, Attorney at Law
Merrily Munther has been practicing law for 40+ years
Munther Law, by predecessor names, was established in 1979. The firm’s office is located in the Irish Bernhardt Building, 6661 N. Glenwood Street in Garden City, Idaho, 20 minutes from the downtown core business area, the Capitol mall and federal and state courts. We represent clients throughout the state and maintain an active civil litigation and administrative practice. We provide services as hearing officers, arbitrators and mediators, and serve as advocates in various alternative dispute resolution (ADR) formats. Munther Law serves as counsel to numerous corporations and business entities and represent private sector clients in commercial matters and legislative affairs. It has associated with other law firms in a specialized capacity and our attorneys have acted as local counsel in multi-state transactions and litigation.
Our philosophy is to provide quality legal services in an efficient manner at competitive rates. Consistent with this philosophy, we provide clients a straightforward assessment of what can and cannot be done for them. We promptly respond to client calls and give answers in plain English. We use paraprofessional staff, as needed, to help achieve these objectives and facilitate communications, and to reduce fees for our clients.
The areas of practice we emphasize include civil litigation, commercial and corporate law, construction and real estate, trust, estate planning and probate, labor and employment law, and OSHA and MSHA. In our construction practice we advise land owners, developers, builders and suppliers on land use, contract issues, liens, disputes, and collections. Munther Law’s employment law practice is diverse and includes employment policies/handbooks, hiring, harassment, discrimination, audits and investigations. We help employers deal with Americans with Disabilities (ADA) issues and Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) problems. We also represent employers on wage and hour issues (FLSA) and union issues (LMRA). We have experience in commercial litigation, collections, construction litigation, discrimination, negligence causing property damage, unfair labor practices, wrongful death and wrongful discharge. In addition to excelling in traditional litigation, we employ alternative dispute resolution (mediation and arbitration) and innovative settlements to achieve successful outcomes for our clients.
University of Washington, B.A., 1968 in Political Science and Swedish (University of Stockholm 1966-1967).
University of Idaho, J.D., 1976; Editor-in-Chief of Idaho Law Review.
- 1969-1972: Industrial Indemnity (San Francisco), legal department.
- 1973: Secretary to House Judiciary Committee, State of Idaho.
- 1974: Boise Cascade Corporation, Boise, Idaho, summer law intern.
- 1975: Ferguson & Burdell, Seattle, Washington, summer law intern.
- 1976-1983: Elam, Burke, Jeppesen, Evans & Boyd, Boise, Idaho, served as assisting and primary attorney in matters relating to employment law, real estate, banking, and mining law.
- 1983-1984: In practice as sole practitioner emphasizing employment, real estate law.
- 1992 through present: Merrily Munther, PLLC, under predecessor names, with an emphasis in general business, employment law, real estate, construction and probate law.
- Ms. Munther also acts as hearing officer and mediator in employment related matters.
Publications / Lecturer
- Defending Wrongful Discharge Claims Under Idaho Law , (NBI, 2002)
- Constructions Issues in Idaho (Lorman, 2002)
- Wage and Hour Law Update in Idaho , (Lorman, 2002)
- Disciplinary Action Following Strike (1998).
- Employee Handbooks in Idaho , (NBI 1998)
- Idaho Labor and Employment Law , (NBI, 1997-1998).
- Fair Housing Laws , Pioneer Real Estate School (1995).
- Occupational Safety and Health , (NBI, 1993-1994; Lorman, 1995).
- Lecturer to employer groups on topics of hiring, firing, drug testing, OSHA, employee manuals, sexual harassment, and employment discrimination; and to real estate groups regarding the Fair Housing Act, landlord-tenant, and real property law.
- Rice v. Rice , 103 Idaho 85, 645 P.2d 319 (1982)
- Century 21 Quality Properties, Inc. v. Chandler , 103 Idaho 193, 646 P.2d 435 (1982)
- Hemingway v. Gruener , 106 Idaho 422, 679 P.2d 1140 (1984)
Membership and Offices Held
- Idaho State Bar; American Bar Association (sections on Labor Law, Real Property, Probate and Trusts, and Economics of Law Practice, Forum on the Construction Industry);
- Board of Directors of American Judicature Society (1982-1986);
- Board of Trustees (1982-1989), President (1990-1991), National Conference of Bar Foundations;
- Member, American Bar Association Commission on Interest on Lawyer Trust Accounts;
- President (1986-1988), Idaho Law Foundation; President (1981-1982), Fourth District Bar Association;
- Member Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity;
- Past Chairman, Legal Advisory Committee, Associated General Contractors (Idaho Chapter);
- Member, Legislative Committee, Idaho Building Contractors Association;
- Past Advisor, Idaho Concrete and Aggregate Producers Association;
- Past President, Boise Chapter, National Association of Women in Construction;
- Past Lt. Governor, Division 6 and past President, Capital City Kiwanis Club.
Project Development Experience
- Condominium development in McCall, Idaho.
- Residential subdivisions at Elkhorn and Sun Valley, Boise County and Ada County.
- Commercial development with retail shopping areas at Challis and Boise.
- Member, Subcommittee on Boise City Comprehensive Plan (1992-1995).
- Idaho Legislative Taskforce on Development Impact Fees.